Mainstreaming the marginalised
Literacy India empowers underprivileged children, youth and women with access to education, life skills & livelihoods. Set up in 1996 as a non-profit organisation, we are committed to the 4Es – Education, Employment, Empowerment, Enviroment, . Our motto is to mainstream the marginalised by making them self-sufficient.We reach out to the underprivileged across India and provide them with access to value education and skills training to enable them to earn a decent living. Literacy India works across 100+ centres in 15 states including Delhi, NCR, Haryana, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Karnataka, and Telangana, with an annual outreach of 65,000 beneficiaries.
Over the last 25 years, we have pioneered a new model of education which focuses on the holistic development of a student combining classroom education with environmental learning. Our progressive attempts in this context have enabled us to build a platform that can nurture untapped talent and allow it to realise its full potential.Technology has played a critical role in all our endeavours. Our GDD software, the virtual classrooms and remedial education are powered by technology, and we have successfully used the internet and related applications in capacity building. In our journey of 25 years, we have touched half a million lives, a task that was achievable, thanks to digital intervention.
Our programmes are envisaged to be innovative, sustainable, and replicable across India. Our objectives are:
- Support children in active schooling to ensure minimum levels of learning
- Economically empower women and children with vocational skills
- Identify children from underprivileged backgrounds and help build their knowledge and confidence
- Nurture, mentor and assist children to become assets for the community and future role models
- Improve self-esteem and boost confidence of underprivileged women